Wood floors are an extremely popular flooring option. They provide a natural beauty to the room, along with durability and strength. However, what turns some people away from wood floors is the maintenance they require. They get scratched, gouged, and stained, which can be devastating to a homeowner who just spent hard-earned money on them. However, here are some hacks that can help you keep your floors looking amazing, and protect them from future calamities.
1. You are used to smoothing out your clothes with an iron. Did you know you can use it to smooth out your floors, too? Place a wet cloth over any dents, and use an iron to flatten the space out. This can work for wood furniture as well. Remember to test on a sample first.
2. You might wear socks around the house to protect your feet, but they can also be used to protect your floor. Put socks on the legs of tables and chairs when you are moving them around so that they don’t scratch the floor when you have to slide them.
3. Toothpaste can get out common accidents like permanent markers. Put a little on a damp cloth and use some elbow grease to remove marks. A magic eraser can also remove scuffs on the floor.
4. If you have creaky floors, then baby powder might be able to help. Dust them with powder, which will get into the cracks. This will fill up the spaces between the boards and stop them from being creaky.
5. Do you have scratches on your floors? A bit of canola oil can get help to reduce their visibility.
6. People are always looking for homemade cleaning solutions that avoid harsh chemicals. In a pinch try black tea as a floor cleaner. It is always recommended to use an approved flooring cleaner for long term protection.
Don’t be afraid of having wood floors. Use these hacks to keep them looking amazing at all times. Remember to always follow manufacturer guidelines for maintaining your hardwood floors. If in doubt, seek out the help of a professional.